Sunday, October 5, 2008

Look Ma! No Art Grant!

Look Ma! No Art Grant!

Art Grant! I don't need no stinkin' art grant!

A lovely maple leaf on a base of postage stamps.

Alright, the election is comming up and I am sick and tired on hearing about the Arts as an issue, in particular, the Conservatives cutting funding to arts in Canada.

“If Canadian artists produce world-class art, then it will be noticed on the
world stage, with or without government assistance,” read a Post editorial.
“Moreover, the Tories are not telling artists to stop producing their movies,
paintings, alternative rock or books. Rather, they are simply telling them to
stop financing their international junkets from the wallets of overburdened
taxpayers.”
http://www.vueweekly.com/article.php?id=9765


I totally agree, tax dollars need to be spent with logic. I agree with the programs that are being put under review, the PromArt program and Trade Routes pay for commitee-decided artists to fly around the world to share and explore the cultural world of others, hardly a good use of tax dollars, this is just the opposisiton and media trying to make a media hysteria out of nothing. Anyway, I don't need an art grant, nor would I want one (in a very Grocho Marx kind of way). A committee doesn't decide what art is. What I made today, to decorate my house, is art to me. Committees are censorship. I can not decide where to place my vote, I actually think about the issues and am probably going to have to find some way to decided. At this time, probably Conservative.

Anyway, These are my autumn-themed wall decorations made from old frames found at yard sales for virtually nothing. Leaves I found outside and covered in wax (from candles) and I made the backgrounds. I like them. They are art to me and that is all that matters!


Though, My photo's are terribly taken!
This is about 10 cm by 10cm

Actually, the one below this is actually a drink tray.
1 foot by 1.5 feet

The photo's just don't do them justice.
50cm by 50cm

There is actually one more, but, the phot was awful, so no luck.


1 comment:

Amy Lake said...

I do have to agree with you about the art and politics, however; it would still be nice if there was more money for the arts inorder that the everyone (lower through upper classes) could enjoy the many and varied arts. Art and beauty are in the eye of the beholder. A simple child's handprint is the most beautiful site to me. Where do you get your ideas for lunches? They look great. With smaller pieces it would look like you were eating a multi cource meal. I am trying to lose weight so this will help with that. Thank you

Phaphnar